Who is The Alliance for the Arts?
Nestled on a ten-acre campus, Alliance for the Arts is the linchpin of the arts and culture industry in Southwest Florida. Our mission is to connect people to the arts and to each other. We work daily with our energetic and dedicated staff, volunteers and members to facilitate and nurture the creation, development, promotion and education of arts and culture in southwest Florida.
The Alliance mission is to foster creativity and strengthen our community. We are a center where people of diverse ages and background can come together to learn something new, socialize, and celebrate the arts.
Forty years ago, there was no unified arts community or venue where it all came together. Founded in 1975 by community leaders such as David Robinson and Barbara B. Mann, the Alliance for the Arts was created to foster the growth of local arts. The Alliance’s membership includes 50+ area arts and cultural organizations and over 1200 artists and individual members. It supports local organizations by providing theatre, meeting and classroom space in the 12,000 square foot William R. Frizzell Cultural Centre on a 10-acre campus opened in 1992.
- The 150 seat Claiborne and Ned Foulds Theater presenting more than 100 theatrical performances a year.
- Margaret Morrow Frizzell Amphitheater for musical and theatrical performances.
- Three art galleries displaying 16 exhibit openings and 325 exhibition days.
- Youth education programs servicing more than 2,400 children with Art Classes, Camps and exhibitions.
- Adult education art classes offering a full range of studio classes to more than 1,000 students annually.
- Offering rental space for area artists and businesses, as well as additional conference space and classrooms for local organizations in the Charles Edwards Building on the north end of the Alliance campus.
Achievements and Highlights
- Named by the Lee County Port Authority as the organization responsible for both permanent art and interim art exhibits at SWFL International Airport
- Established first grant line item for the arts – Arts and Attractions Fund – in partnership with the City of Fort Myers, Lee County Tourist Development Council, Bireley Foundation, and the Southwest Florida Community Foundation
- Hosts the annual “Fall for the Arts” to promote area arts organizations, young performers and artists
- Provides free exhibition space for the annual Lee Art Educator’s Association for high, mid and elementary schools student’s exhibits
- Provides free audition space for the annual Young Artists Awards
- Works with Lee County School District to offer art opportunities for at-risk students and to identify scholarship recipients
Building for the Future with Your Help
- Create outreach programs to bring the arts to business and special needs communities throughout Lee County
- Promote the arts as an integral component of the quality of life in Lee County, to enhance recruitment of new businesses, employers and professionals to the area
- Partner with the Lee County Port Authority to secure and oversee art exhibits in at Southwest Florida International Airport.
- Collaborate with the downtown redevelopment agency to infuse public art in the downtown River District.
- Much needed improved security system to draw more nationally known art exhibits
- Upgrade and expansion of the theater and amphitheater
- Grounds and Landscaping improvements