Mixing Media with Colored Pencil & Pastel (Ages 16+)
Based on an article by the instructor, featured in The Artist’s Magazine, Oct 2012!
Learn a fast and easy illustrator’s technique, adapted to new products. Colored pencil and/or pastels go over a tonal underpainting on a textured ground. You’ll use a single color of oil paint to establish the light and shadow pattern, and the dry media for the details. A practice project will get you started, and then you can develop your own choice of subject. Bring your own colored pencils and/or pastels (we’ll share what you don’t have in class) and a couple of brushes.
For this class you will do dry media – colored pencil or pastel or both – over oil unpderpainting over a textured ground over an outline drawing on illustration board.
There will be at least two projects, one pre-printed on suitable paper for practice, the other will be your choice. Some phot references and outline drawings will be available or you can bring your own. Your choice should be something with strong lights and darks. (It can be a portrait, animal, still life, or landscape.) It would be helpful to prepare an outline drawing or photocopy of your subject in advance, ready to transfer. The board will be 8×10”; consider making your drawing smaller to allow a margin for matting. (For easy framing the image might be 4×6” or 5×7” – but it can also fill most of the 8×10” board if you like.) Other size boards of different types will be available.
Note that you do NOT need BOTH colored pencils and pastels. Bring one or the other; both only if you really want.
- Colored pencils – artist quality, your choice of brands, set of 12 or larger. Harder pencils may work better than soft ones.
- Watercolor pencils and crayons are useful
- Pastels – any type, hard or soft sticks, pastel pencils or Pan Pastels
- Oil pastels may also be useful in addition
- Two paint brushes: a stiff bristle brush for acrylics (#8 or 10 flat or bright) and another for oils (#4 flat, bright, or filbert). The oil brush can be bristle or softer.
- Graphite pencil
- Kneaded eraser
- Paper blending stump or tortillon
- All the special products – oil paint, odorless mineral spirits, clear gesso, illustration board, cotton swabs – will be provided.