Sparkling Watercolor Still Life Painting (ages 13+)
Add “life” to you still life paintings! No more drab, dull scenes that look stale and static. Students will learn techniques to achieve a dynamic watercolor still life with realism and sparkle. There will be instructor demonstrations of various techniques with ample time for student hands on practice prior to completing a dynamic still life painting. Some drawing and watercolor experience is preferred.
- Learn proper placement of still life objects to add depth
- Understand how light and shadows bring still life objects to life and make them realistic
- Explore various techniques to produce textural effects
- Understand the importance of “saving the white” of your paper
- Practice mixing a variety of vibrant colors
- Produce an 11×14 painting utilizing these techniques
Supply List: Supplies can be rented from the instructor with prior notice for a $35 fee or students may bring their own. Email Shirley at email@example.com.
- Medium size flat or wash brush
- Small flat brush
- Small and large rounds
Suggested Paints or Equivalent:
- Alizarin Crimson
- Cadmium Red
- New Gamboge or Yellow Ochre
- Lemon Yellow
- French Ultramarine Blue
- Cerulean Blue
- Optional: Payne’s Grey, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna
- 11×14 sheet of 140, 200, or 300lb cold pressed watercolor paper. Extra paper for practice.
- 140 lb weight paper should be stretched prior to workshop.
- Water container
- Paper towels
- Soft pencil for sketching
- Kneaded eraser
- Ruler (optional)
- Old toothbrush
- Natural sponge
- Palette for mixing paint