Sparkling Watercolor Still Life Painting (Ages 13 to adult)
Add “life” to you still life paintings! No more drab, dull scenes that look stale and static. Students will learn techniques to achieve a dynamic watercolor still life with realism and sparkle. There will be instructor demonstrations of various techniques with ample time for student hands on practice prior to completing a dynamic still life painting.
Students are expected to have some prior drawing and watercolor experience.
- Learn proper placement of still life objects to add depth
- Understand how light and shadows bring still life objects to life and make them realistic
- Explore various techniques to produce textural effects
- Understand the importance of “saving the white” of your paper
- Practice mixing a variety of vibrant colors
- Produce an 11×14 painting utilizing these techniques
Supply List: Supplies can be rented from the instructor with prior notice for a $35 fee or students may bring their own. Email Shirley at email@example.com.
- Medium size flat or wash brush
- Small flat brush
- Small and large rounds
Suggested Paints or Equivalent:
- Alizarin Crimson
- Cadmium Red
- New Gamboge or Yellow Ochre
- Lemon Yellow
- French Ultramarine Blue
- Cerulean Blue
- Optional: Payne’s Grey, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna
- 11×14 sheet of 140, 200, or 300lb cold pressed watercolor paper. Extra paper for practice.
- 140 lb weight paper should be stretched prior to workshop.
- Water container
- Paper towels
- Soft pencil for sketching
- Kneaded eraser
- Ruler (optional)
- Old toothbrush
- Natural sponge
- Palette for mixing paint